I will instruct and assist with monotype,or print your edition in the media of relief and intaglio. My studio space provides two intaglio presses:
The studio has one large 3' x 4' light table and two smaller light boxes. Acrylic plate sizes: 18 x 24, 18 x 18, 12 x 16, 11 x 10 and smaller. Various brayers and two large diameter 20" ink rollers for large roll outs of ink and blend rolls.
The following studio offerings are available to persons interested in producing original hand pulled prints.
Monotypes or Monoprints
· Collaborative Printing- the individual will produce images using acrylic plates of various sizes. I will assist in the mixing of the inks, preparation of the paper, technical assistance in Chine colle’, single and multi plate registration, blend rolls, and press operation. I will provide: a variety of printing paper. Special paper must be ordered allow two weeks, (contact me for types and size), various sized acrylic plates, a variety of colored inks, brushes, brayers, and other materials. A 16 & 20 inch ink roller is provided for large roll-outs and blend rolls. Japanese paper for chine colle’ can be provided. You may provide your own special papers if desired. If you are interested in special process such as blend rolls, chine colle' or other techniques please notify me so we can meet and discuss this ahead of time.
· Printing Relief Editions –Editions will be printed from previously prepared wood or linoleum blocks. Proofs will be run and consultation with the artist for producing a limited edition. Technical details will be discussed beforehand and the method of production such as reduction or multi-block printing, size of edition, color, paper type and size.
· Printing Intaglio Editions- I will print editions from already prepared zinc, Solarplate TM ,acrylic or copper plates. Although I have the set-up for etching plates I am not providing the service of acid etching to artists due to the health risks. Only Solarplates, Dry point and engraved plates can be worked on in the studio. I also have a mezzotint rocker.
Studio fee for singular printing (monotypes) 6 hour session
Price of $250.00 Additional time is $25. Per hour.
Come prepared with sketches and ideas so as not to use studio time getting ideas.
The six hour printing session starts at nine and finishes at four o’clock. Start 9-12, bring a sack lunch 12-12:30/ 1:00, 1:00- 4:00. A typical printing six hour session results in 5-6 prints. *
Clean-up is provided. Prints are dried under cotton blotters and changed out every 24 hours until dry. My press chop is applied to all prints. Prints may be picked up when ready. Shipping and packaging is extra. ( see four hour session dtails below)
Objective for workshop:
- Introduction to the monotype process with a print demonstration using several techniques and examples.
- Produce multi-plate prints with various colored inks from a variety of acrylic plates.
What you will accomplish in the monotype workshop:
· Your resulting prints will represent the subtractive and additive method using brayers, brushes, rags, cotton swabs, or other techniques.
· chine colle' is also an option if there is interest.
Monotype Workshop (short session)
A four hour monotype workshop for two individuals
Instructional sessions for monotype are typically 4 hours.
Four hour monotype workshop-$175. per person. Studio facilities and materials for monotype: same as above
Time frame for four hour workshop session:
- 8:30 Arrive at the studio
- 8:30 - 9:15 Instruction on the process of the monotype
- 9:30-10:15 Preparing the plates,paper inks
- 10:30- 12:30 Participants begin developing their plates for printing. Depending on the plate/image size and complexity and the artists work habits you should be able to pull two prints depending on the size of the plate and the artists skills.
basic skills in making a Solarplate intaglio print edition. This
is a workshop consisting of two, five hours days. You will explore making a unique composition on transparency
film using water based opaque media. Using the transparency as your positive
image you will expose a Solarplate to U.V. light which when etched with tap
water will create your matrix for printing an edition of five prints and two
proofs.Click this link for details of offering http://www.stevenchapp.com/classes-and-workshops-calendar
Studio contract fee for printing editions of etchings, dry point, engravings and relief prints.
Pricing for edition printing is determined from the complexity of the print, number of plates or blocks, number of colors and techniques. Price on multi plates, size of plate and specialty plates will be determined on their complexity.There will be a minimum of 10 prints per edition. Minimum price per print is $15. Proofs are not part of the edition and are $12. each. Additional cost can be applied depending on the complexity of the print, medium, number of runs or size of the plate, paper or inks. Details to be worked out with the artist. The artist will approve any print before the edition is pulled. A proof print is pulled with the artist or shipped to the artist for approval. All shipping is at cost. Prints are wrapped in acid free paper and carefully packaged for shipment. Insurance is extra.
Works will come with a print documentation that can be copied by the artist if desired.
*In addition, Black Dog Press will will be entitled to one print from each edition or session(s). Or other considerations.
Papers and inks are provided and will be included in the fee.
Shipping and packing is extra.
**Prices are subject to change due the cost of paper and other materials.
Black Dog Press